Monday 10 December 2012

Wish upon a star

Crystal Star charms
I first taught this little pattern in 2006, and have carried on teaching it pretty much every winter since then. In 2008 it was among the patterns on my first little webshop and continues to be hugely popular. It is quick and easy to learn, and a really useful thing. I like useful, by which I mean it can be worked up in lots of different ways, in different quantities and used to make things from the most (last minute) simple tree or parcel decoration, to a bag or phone charm, used as a festive pendant or grouped together for a bracelet or necklace.
It is also the best fun design for playing around with colour combinations as it doesn't take many beads, or too long to make... another useful aspect.
Here I've been inspired by things Nordic. For the photograph I found myself painting twigs white, this is an excellent time-waster and hugely satisfying in a 'let your mind wander' kind of way while you fill the missed bits. It is only later that you notice a fine mist of white emulsion freckles all over you and the surrounding area... Oh look, permanent snow!
If you are in the mood to enjoy a quick to make festive design,  the printed version is called Stars here (allow extra seasonal posting time) or the download version for instant gratification is called Crystal Star Charms which you can find here.